Save Internet Freedom
January 18, 2012
Freedom is the combination of Knowledge, Voice and Choice.
“We need the Internet to remain free because it represents the emerging voice of humanity.” – Raam Dev
Check out the two excellent videos on http://raamdev.com/ about the Internet Censorship Legislation.
And then sign the petitions – any petition, like the Google-backed one – to Save Internet Freedom.
Corporate supporters of Senate 968 (PIPA) and HR 3261 (SOPA) demand the ability to take down any web site (including craigslist, Wikipedia, or Google) that hurts their profits — without prior judicial oversight or due process — in the name of combating “online piracy.”
PIPA and SOPA authors and supporters insist they’d only go after foreign piracy sites, but Internet Engineers understand this is an attempt to impose “Big Brother” controls on our Internet, complete with DNS hijacking and censoring search results. Incredibly, many Congress Members favor this idea.
<RANT>Try to imagine jack-booted thugs throttling free speech, poisoning the Internet (greatest of American inventions, the very pillar of modern democracy), and devastating one of the our most successful industries. Totalitarian, anti-American, massively-job-killing nonsense.</RANT>
Tell Congress you OPPOSE Senate 968 “Protect IP Act” (PIPA) and H.R. 3261 “Stop Online Piracy Act” (SOPA):
- Phone your Member of Congress via nifty Progressive Change app
- Contact Senators who are refusing to meet with constituents about PIPA.
- Reverse Robocall pro-PIPA & pro-SOPA MOC + Lobbyists (More at Ars Technica)
- EFF Congressional Emailer – Oppose Internet Blacklisting (PIPA & SOPA)
- ECA Congressional Emailer – Don’t Censor Our Internet!
- OpenCongress Congressional Emailer – Oppose SOPA
- Generic Congressional Emailer (You’ll need your Zip+4)
- Petition Congress – Protect Innovation, Dump SOPA (Progressive Change )
- Outside the US? Sign Petition Opposing US Censorship of Global Sites (EFF)
Supporters of PIPA and SOPA: RIAA, MPAA, News Corp, TimeWarner, Walmart, Nike, Tiffany, Chanel, Rolex, Sony, Juicy Couture, Ralph Lauren, VISA, Mastercard, Comcast, ABC, Dow Chemical, Monster Cable, Teamsters, Rupert Murdoch, Lamar Smith (R-TX), John Conyers (D-MI)
Opponents of PIPA and SOPA: Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, eBay, AOL, Mozilla, Reddit, Tumblr, Etsy, Zynga, EFF, ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Darrell Issa (R-CA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Ron Paul (R-TX)