Leek, Pear & Sweet Potato Soup
November 11, 2010
“Sad people eat junk food to repair their mood, happy people eat healthy to maintain their mood.”
My first foray into cooking leeks resulted in the following recipe. Feel free to tamper with it – I came up with it by combining a few promising leek recipes & stuff I had in my kitchen.
- 1 or 2 giant leeks from your local Farmer’s Market; remove the outer leaves, chop off the green tops & the base; rinse well (get out the dirt between the leaves too – you might have to peel the first few layers back). Chop fine.
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into soup-sized cubes.
- 1 pear, peeled and cut into soup-sized cubes.
- 2 or 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock (put enough stock in to cover the veggies).
- Salt & Pepper.
Heat a dollop of butter in a saucepan, then sauté leeks and onion on medium/high heat until soft.
Add the sweet potatoes, pear, chicken stock and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 mins or until potatoes are tender.
Invite some friends over for some delicious, warming conversation. Bon appétit!